Thank you for your expression of interest in the next Youth Parliament, which will occur in 2019.
Every Member of Parliament will select a Youth MP to represent their electorate, and I’m seeking applications from interested students to be considered for the Waikato electorate.
Youth MPs will participate in a tenure programme from 1 March to 31 August, including a two day Youth Parliament event in Wellington on 16 and 17 July. This triennial programme offers the opportunity to understand and be a part of the Parliamentary process and connect with communities. It will be a significant opportunity for 120 young New Zealanders to gather the views of their peers and bring young peoples’ voice to Parliament.
Students will be required to submit a video (no more than five minutes) about themselves, why they would be a great Youth MP and also highlighting the top three issues currently affecting youth in the Waikato. Videos are to be posted to Facebook, ensuring that the video is tagged @TimvandeMolenWaikato.
I’m looking for a young person who is:
- Passionate about the Waikato
- aged 16 – 18 years old (inclusive) on 19 October 2018
- active in their community
- able to attend Youth Parliament on 16 and 17 July 2019 and commit to the Youth MP tenure, from 1 March to 31 August 2019 (training will be offered at the beginning of this tenure)
- passionate about youth issues, politics and/or social change
- able to seek the views, opinions and ideas of their peers and represent them at the two-day Youth Parliament 2019 event
- prepared to work within the protocols and behavioural expectations of Youth Parliament 2019
- Videos must be submitted by midday on Friday 5 October 2018. I will announce my Youth MP on Friday 26th October 2018.
If you have any questions about the selection process or Youth Parliament, please feel welcome to contact my office on 0800 GET TIM (0800 438 846) or Tim.vandeMolenMP@parliament.govt.nz
Tim van de Molen MP
MP for Waikato